The role of a Diversity Champion in the workplace
The Equality Act 2010 makes it unlawful to discriminate against anyone with a protected characteristic. But with prevention being better than cure, we think the role of a Diversity Champion is important in helping to reduce discrimination and create an inclusive working environment.
What is a Diversity Champion?
Simply put, this is a designated person within a business who is responsible for instilling a diverse and accepting workplace culture.
Depending on factors such as business size, this may be a full time, paid role or it could be someone in your team who feels passionate about promoting diversity.
What do they do?
There are many things a Diversity Champion could do. Here are some examples.
- Start open discussions about diversity in your workplace and gather important information about how safe and secure employees feel at work.
- Arrange events that help celebrate diversity, such as fun runs or bake sales with donations going to minority charities.
- Educate employees on diversity and the effects of discrimination.
- Help with the reviewing of policies and workplace culture documents to ensure they speak for everyone in the business.
- Identify areas in which the business can improve its efforts to be more inclusive and help it adapt to ensure everyone has the facilities to be comfortable at work.
Why is this role important?
Creating an accepting, inclusive and educated culture is not only important to reduce the chances of discrimination, it will also allow all your employees to feel welcome, safe and valued.
There’s bundles of evidence to show that if someone feels happy and secure at work, they’re more likely to stick around for longer and perform better in their role.
It goes without saying that an openly diverse and welcoming business, will attract more of the best talent and could even be the reason why someone chooses to work there.
Delivering a great employee experience is a challenge for growing organisations. At PES, it’s what we do. Our online employee benefits platform, HR support and workplace wellbeing services bring out the best in your employees – enabling your business to thrive.